Thursday, October 13, 2005

trying to just be . .

- had a great lunch conversation with my friend, Tam. That's right - Tam. It's Mat backwards. It's humorous. well - to me, at least. Anyway, we talked about how we want to DO, but God calls us to BE. So the question is, can you "be" in the midst of doing? I propse you can; and it's all based on this quote:

"Pray as if everything depends on God, and act as if everything depends on you"

- I'm so terrible at both at the same time; it's my tendency to lean towards one or the other; but never BOTH at the same time.
Ah . . . . therin lies the rub ......

1 comment:

Lindsay Rae said...

"We are so obsessed with doing that we have no time and no imagination left for being. As a result, men are valued not for what they are but for what they do or what they have - for their usefulness."

Thomas Merton

I think this attitude seriously reflects the poverty of our consumer based culture.