Wednesday, October 12, 2005

the shallow and the deep

- so this is my blog page.i'm calling it "along the shores", because that's where most of my thoughts happen - figuratively speaking. They don't really happen "in the deep" - cause i'm too busy at that point. It's hard to think when you're in the deep. Maybe you're concentrating on staying afloat, and not drowning. Maybe the call is to drown. But at any rate, i know that most of my thoughts come along the shores
- Jesus spoke and taught from the deep waters, and his disciples and followers sat and listened along the shore. Along the shores is where we are called from; it's from a place of "intimate security".
- isn't it interesting that there is no real sudden gap between the shallow shores and the deep waters. You walk into the water, and at some point - you're chest deep. and you turn around, and see how far you've come; and at this point, the fearful don't want to go any further. But the adventurer in us wants to keep going. Then, you're in over your head; you "bob" up and down, like a kid in the deep end of a pool, each time wanting to stay under a little longer, until the point where you can hold your breath and break the surface and see what's really underneath the water.
- this hopefully will be a place where people can come and gather along the shores; may we listen to the master.

3 comments:

Omar said...

let me be the first to comment on the new blog, which today is spitting up, saying it's first words and taking it's first steps.

welcome matt to the world of the blog, and as in all things may it be to the glory of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

John David Walt said...

All right St. Matthew-- way to go. from "intimate security" to "dangerous reality" very nice.

Juan Diego

Chief Kitty Herder said...

Hey Matt. My name is Mary Lee. I am from Florida in the US and grew up on Life Teen, Steuby and the like. I have followed your music over the years. I find it moves my heart into worship, which is a place I love to be. I was writing because I am in Oz right now and saw you yesterday at Youth Arise. I am serving on the Aussie NET Team for this year and will be over here through November. I wanted to really affirm you on being an amazing worship leader. Thank you for so generously sharing the gifts God gave you. You so beautifully empty yourself out, giving all credit to him. That kind of humility is rare and beautiful. I also wanted to let you know that, having spent the past 6 months traveling around Oz and doing daily retreats for high schoolers here... the church here is hungry. And let me just say, the worship the other night was like inviting starving people to a 5 course Thanksgiving Dinner. There are 4 Aussies on my team of 9, and they could not get over the Spirit in the room. It is VERY rare that they get such an experience. And myself and my other teammate, who is from Houston, TX, and also raised on Life Teen were SOOO thrilled to have a "taste of home." It's funny... all the things we take for granted. I had forgotten how amazing that "spiritual food" tastes! Anyway, I just cannot tell you enough how very much your presence at WYD will open the eyes of the youth people of Oz. If you're interested in some of our journey so far, I have a blog at MLDownUnder.com. I currently have limited access on the NET, but I look forward to reading your blog. I just skimmed it quickly and I'm excited to go more in depth when I can actually sit and contemplate what you have written. You seem like a deep thinker... which is an amazing gift (though sometimes can seem like a curse) :) But something I really appreciate. I read recently that there are two teachers... Wisdom and Consequence. Hope you don't mind if I steal some of your wisdom from your blog. :) May God bless you and hope you have a safe and incredibly fruitful trip. Please keep me in your prayers as I discern where God is calling me to next year. I share 100% your thoughts on our calling to be empty and beautiful... especially after my experiences this year. I just wish sometimes I was more certain in my discernment. :) I'll keep you in my prayers as well. Keep it up! You're amazing!