Friday, June 13, 2008

from the Carefree desert to "the shire" of America - aka - Phoenix to wilmore Kentucky

This has been an interesting week folks (or folk - whoever's reading this) - started out in Phoenix with Life Teen and their annual June Convention. It's just like hanging with family - we've all been in ministry together for so long. This year, we invited Walt Mueller, a well known non denomin and Marc Ostreicher from Youth Specialties ( http://www.ysmarko.com ) - he gave a talk Tuesday night that was amazing - and is the main subject of a new book coming out soon, that you're gonna wanna get if you're in Youth Ministry.
Since yesterday, I've been hanging out in Kentucky - home of horse racing, mint juleps, Thomas Merton, and amongst other things, great people in Lexington and Wilmore. Bishop Gaynor in Lexington is a wonderful man with a great vision of community - not only for Catholics in Lex, but for all believers - the relationship here between denominations has been so encouraging....it's been wonderful to see and be a part of. I was first brought here by a good friend, John David Walt. John David is the dean of chapel at Asbury Theological Seminary in Wilmore, KY, and a great lyricist and poet. He has wonderful insights about the nature of who we are as believers and how does that get expressed in our lives. He has a great blog you can find at http://farmstrong.blogspot.com
- yesterday we were part of a brainstorming session with folks from different organizations and denominations to talk about how Asbury Seminary could help emerging church leaders; we drove around on a tour bus - good times. We ended yesterday with watching Brenton Brown lead worship at Ichthus (Christian Festival). Brenton has written so many wonderful songs for the church (everlasting God, Lord Reign in Me, Hosanna, and Halleluiah (Your Love Is Amazing) to name a few. He has a new CD coming out soon. We'll give you more details as they come.
- Today is a good day of chilling out. But it is sad - because it is raining in wilmore, and the folks at Ichthus had to cancel the night. Robbie Seay and his band are in town - but they aren't playing. Neither is Toby Mac, or Kutless, or Stellar Kart. Sadness. But we did have a great meal courtesy of the Walts with my band and Robbie's band. Great meal and conversation. good times :)

- more reports from the Icthus festival to come (oh yeah - that's why we're here - we're playing tomorrow night at .
p.s - Brenton Brown has a new CD coming out soon with some great new songs for the church.
p.p.s - go buy Robbie Seay Band's album, "Give Yourself Away"
p.p.p.s - pray for no rain tomorrow at ichthus.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Hey! I was working the Ichthus festival, and I didn't get to see your concert, but I heard you sing at communion. I got your CD a few months ago, too, so I was excited that you were at the festival. All of the prayers totally worked -no more storms! I talked to the chaplain, and he said that it turns out that God used the storm to work in a lot of youth groups and people's lives. I also heard another story about a youth group getting connected with missions because of the storm. God definitely works in mysterious ways!
I hope you had a great stay in KY, and I hope the rest of your concerts this summer are filled with His presence! God bless!

~Lauren
Ps. 139:5

frettburner said...

Hey Matt, I'm listening to your new cd right now and it's great. I had not heard of you untill last year when I attended a worship leaders conference in Austin, where I was very intrigued with you at the newsong cafe session and the songwriter session. I really like your music. This new cd is awesome. I love the song "Leave a Light On". It reminds me of Motel 6, but that's kinda cool. I love the idea behind the song. Also, Look Like a Fool is really cool.

sandy said...

I love every think you do, I love every thing you great for his Glory the gate of heaven with your music and songs are easy to get in when the time come I will be happy to pass in. Your new CD put me in a Rime with the Lord especially great things that is one of my favors because when I am sad I listen to it and I star dancing with the blessed Mother and Jesus himself Thank you Matt Maher God bless
Love sandy